Building security is vital for any property owner, manager, or tenant. Whether it is a commercial, industrial, or residential building, security involves protecting people and assets from various threats and hazards, such as break-ins, vandalism, accidents, natural disasters, and more. Glass windows and doors are one of the most vulnerable and exposed parts of any building. Glass can shatter or break due to impacts, blasts, storms, earthquakes, or spontaneous breakage, causing injuries, damages, and losses. Therefore, it is essential to reinforce the glass with safety film, a smart solution for building security.
What is a film?
The film is a thin layer of polyester material applied to the interior or exterior surface of glass windows and doors. It designs the glass to hold together in case of breakage, preventing it from flying or falling out of the frame. It can also reduce the risk of glass-related injuries by creating a barrier between the glass and the occupants or pedestrians. The film can also enhance the appearance and performance of the glass by adding tint, color, or reflective properties.
What are the Benefits of the safety film?
It offers many benefits for building security, such as:
● Protection from break-ins: Film can deter intruders from breaking into a building by making it harder to smash or penetrate the glass. It can also delay their entry, giving the alarm system or security personnel more time to respond.
● Protection from vandalism: It can protect the glass from graffiti, scratches, or vandal etching. If damaged, it replaces easily, saving the cost of replacing the entire glass pane.
● Protection from accidents: Film can prevent injuries from accidental impacts with the glass by children, pets, or workers. It also prevents damage to furniture or equipment from flying glass shards.
● Protection from natural disasters: It can withstand high winds, severe storms, or earthquakes that can cause the glass to shatter or fall out of the frame. It also reduces the damage from water or debris that may enter through broken windows.
● Protection from spontaneous breakage: Film can prevent the glass from exploding due to impurities or thermal stress. It can also meet safety glazing requirements and upgrade the glass to code for specific hazardous locations.
● Energy efficiency: It might lower energy costs by keeping heat and air conditioning in during the summer and winter.
● Reduced noise pollution: Film can help to reduce noise pollution from traffic, construction, and other sources, creating a more peaceful and productive environment for occupants.
● Increased curb appeal: It can give commercial buildings a more modern and polished appearance, making them more attractive to tenants and customers.
How to Choose and Install safety film?
The film comes in various types, thicknesses, and grades depending on the level of protection and performance required. Some of the factors to consider when choosing a film are:
● The type and size of the Glass: Different types of Glass have different properties and strengths. For example, tempered Glass is stronger than annealed Glass but more prone to spontaneous breakage. The glass size also affects the amount and quality of film needed.
● The type and intensity of the threat: Different threats pose different levels of risk and damage to the Glass. For example, a blast may require a thicker and stronger film than a storm. The frequency and likelihood of the threat also influence the choice of film.
● The aesthetic and functional preferences: Film can also enhance the appearance and performance of the Glass by adding tint, color, or reflective properties. For example, a tinted film can reduce glare and heat gain while increasing privacy and energy efficiency.
A professional installer should install the film with the proper training, tools, and experience. The installer should follow the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines for preparing the glass surface, applying the film, trimming the edges, and curing the adhesive. The installer should also provide a warranty for the film and labor.
The safety film is a smart solution for building security that can protect people and property from various threats and hazards involving glass windows and doors. It can also enhance the appearance and performance of the Glass by adding tint, color, or reflective properties. A qualified installer who can guarantee quality and durability should install the film. Building owners, managers, and tenants can enjoy peace of mind and security by investing in films.