- Next a series of current construction employee fatalities, New York Metropolis Office of Structures Commissioner Melanie E. La Rocca this week mobilized groups of enforcement inspectors to execute protection sweeps of the city’s greater and additional complex construction web sites.
- Whilst performing these “zero-tolerance” sweeps, DOB inspectors will concern enforcement actions if they notice any basic safety violations and will shut down sites if they discover significant protection lapses, the city announced in a push launch. Inspectors and group engagement teams will also be distributing “Worker Alert” basic safety information at construction sites on the risks of employee falls.
- In the past two months, three design employees in the metropolis died in different get the job done-associated incidents. Two of these deadly incidents have been the consequence of worker falls, and all three incidents are below investigation.
“The the latest spate of construction worker deaths in our town is tragic, senseless – and even worse, completely avoidable,” La Rocca stated. “The demise of even a person building employee is wholly unacceptable.”
Through this sweep, DOB inspectors will be conducting website visits at 1000’s of development get the job done web-sites in neighborhoods across the metropolis. Contractors who are discovered to be placing their workers at hazard by flouting basic safety restrictions could facial area penalties of up to $25,000 for each and every design security violation. Inspectors will be:
- Making sure that permitted building jobs are in whole compliance with their expected web site security options.
- Confirming that contractors and protection specialists are closely adhering to New York City’s construction basic safety restrictions.
- Examining that personnel on site are thoroughly utilizing basic safety harnesses and drop arrest programs where necessary.
- Distributing “Worker Notify” security data on how to protect against employee falls and sending direct mailers to all permit holders performing roof do the job.
Past thirty day period, the division declared that five new design basic safety bills were released for consideration in the New York City Council. If adopted, these expenditures would tremendously increase oversight and accountability on design internet sites in the city by licensing normal contractors who complete building do the job, necessitating a lot more internet site safety supervision at much larger perform websites, strengthening demands for chilly-formed steel development and forever banning the unsafe use of stand-off brackets for suspended scaffold get the job done, the department reported.
This construction protection legislation package deal builds upon other latest moves by the DOB to enhance protection on the city’s design internet sites, like raising penalties for the most severe safety violations, selecting hundreds of extra inspectors, implementing a 1st-of-its-variety security schooling application for the city’s development workforce and expanding the frequency of unannounced building security inspections of significant do the job web sites throughout the city.
These basic safety efforts spearheaded led to a 34% decrease in injuries on developing development web sites in New York Town from 2018 to 2020, the section stated.